They are employed by adoption agencies, and their job is to provide support and guidance to those involved in the adoption process. They work closely with social workers and other professionals to ensure that the best interests of the child are always kept in mind.
The job outlook for Adoption Counselors is positive, as the demand for adoptions is expected to grow in the coming years.
Salary Range: $30,000 – $50,000
What to Include in a Adoption Counselor Cover Letter?
Roles And Responsibilities
- Counseling clients about the adoption process, which includes understanding the adoption process, locating a birth mother and matching her with adoptive parents, as well as creating and maintaining records.
- Supporting birth mothers throughout the adoption process by listening to their needs, keeping them informed of their rights, and helping them make a decision that’s in their best interest.
- Preparing adoptive parents for the adoption process by explaining the types of adoptions available to them, providing them with information on birthmothers and assisting with their selection.
- Coordinating with potential birth parents and adoptive parents on medical visits.
- Assisting birth parents in finding post-birth support services during pregnancy and after the baby is born.
- Maintaining contact with adoptive families during the matching period to address any concerns or questions they may have.
Education & Skills
Adoption Counselor Skills:
- Able to work as a team.
- Comfortable handling data entry, paperwork and other administrative duties.
- Able to serve as a liaison between the agency and adoptive families.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Empathetic, patient, helpful and courteous disposition.
Adoption Counselor Education Requirements:
- Adoption counselors typically have a bachelor’s degree in psychology or a related field. Some employers may also require candidates to complete a master’s program in social work or counseling.
Adoption Counselor Cover Letter Example (Text Version)
Dear Mr. / Ms. [Recruiter Name],
I am writing to apply for the position of adoption counselor. I have a bachelor’s degree in social work, and two years’ experience working as an adoption counselor for a large family services organization.
My work as an adoption counselor is to provide counseling and support to birth parents who are considering placing their children up for adoption, and to adoptive families who are waiting to place a child with them. It is crucial that I provide my clients with all of the information they need so that they can make decisions that are right for them.
Key Achievements in this role include:
- Reduced time to match foster parents with children by 5% in the first year of serving as an Adoption Counselor.
- Created reliable, efficient system for matching children with foster families, which has been adopted as the standard for all Adoption Counselors.
- Reduced average time spent in foster care for each child from 2 years to 14 months.
- Increased number of children placed with couples who were able to adopt them permanently by 10%.
- Helped advise and counsel 4 new Adoption Counselors on systems they should use and procedures they should follow.
In addition to counseling clients, I also keep records on birth parents and adoptive families, which I update regularly. These records ensure that we know what kinds of adoptions are available at any given time, and where there might be gaps in our ability to assist families.
I enjoy being an adoption counselor because it gives me an opportunity to help people make decisions about one of the most important aspects of their lives. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you further about this position.
When writing a cover letter for an Adoption Counselor position, be sure to highlight your experience working with diverse populations, as well as your knowledge of the adoption process. In addition, emphasize your ability to provide support and guidance to those involved in the adoption process.
Refer our Adoption Counselor Resume Sample for more tips on how to write your resume and accompany it with a strong cover letter.