A Nurse is a qualified professional who provides personalized care service to patients. Nurses promote health among patients, help them cope with illness and prevent diseases. As they gain a unique level of education and scope of practice, they have the advantage of either working independently or work in collaboration with other members of the healthcare team and provide the best possible health care service catering to the needs of the patients. And not just that, the nurses are also involved in advocating patients and their family members. They develop, manage, and implement nursing plans and advise patients on proper care and post-operation procedures. And as an educator, highly qualified nurses teach students and their community how to maintain or improve the health of patients. For that purpose, we have provided the best Nurse Career Resources.
From entry-level Nurses to Qualified Researchers, there are plenty of career opportunities open for the aspirants who want to make it big in the Nursing Sector. Nurses are uniquely trained individuals who focus on changing the global trajectory of health among human-kind. Working as a whole team alongside medical professionals, the Nurses tend to take care of the patient’s healthcare needs and are the linchpin that keeps the healthcare systems run effectively. Nurses provide several services from daily care to even filling the role of a Doctor in certain situations.
Nurses are of different types and their job titles change based on the level and type of specialization taken up by them. This article can be used by those as a step-by-step resource guide for making a career in the Nursing industry. Aspirants seeking to pursue a career in Nursing can learn more about this field, nursing jobs, education resources, and about all pertaining things from this one-stop resource guide.
Detailed Guide on Nurse Career Resources
Table of Contents
- 1. Careers In Nursing
- 2. Organizations and Associations for Nursing Career
- 3. Digital Resources
- 4. Medical Resume Samples
Careers In Nursing
Nurses are considered the most trusted professionals who represent almost 3 million in today’s job force. And additionally, there are around 700 thousand Licensed Practical Nurses – LPN’s. This factor alone is sufficient to prove how demanding and crucial this field can be! Nurses undertake various roles and responsibilities depending on the area of expertise they possess. Their tasks also vary based on where they work and on which areas, they specialize. Certain professional tasks undertaken by the Nurses are listed by the American Nurses Association as –
- Obtaining basic medical information from patients
- Performing physical exams
- Imparting education and health promotion among patients
- Gathering patient’s health or medical histories
- Participating in patient’s health promotion activities
- Administering medications, and health interventions
- Giving first-aid and wound care services
- Coordinating patient care collectively while working with other medical professionals and the healthcare team
- Being a part of taking critical decisions
- Supervising LPN’s and nursing assistants
- Researching responsibilities
Speaking about the diversity and versatility of the sector, there are more than 100 nursing specialists and the degree the nurses hold dictate the competency and practice level. Some of such specialties include –
- Medical-Surgical Care
- Labor and Delivery
- Diabetes Care
- Emergency nursing
- Burn care
- Home Health
- Forensic Nursing
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Wound, Ostomy and Continence care
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Psychiatric care
While some practice settings and specialties need only an Associate’s Degree in Nursing or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing; many other advanced roles necessitate a higher level of educational criteria such as – Doctorate of Nursing Practice or Doctorate of Philosophy.
Benefits of a Nursing Career
A Nursing Career is a highly respectable and most-sought-after field, and there is always a consistent demand for highly qualified, and skilled nurses all across the world today.
If you are considering this growing, rewarding and exciting field, you should also know that this career comes with these attached awesome benefits –
- Job flexibility is high
- Work in various locations
- Career mobility
- Strong personal satisfaction
- Demand for Nursing roles
- High remuneration
- Diverse nursing specialties
- Can work in many different patient populations
Nursing Career Path
A career as a Nurse means many possible career choices and paths. If you are the one who is seeking to make a career in this route, then the following article is a perfect resource to get all information under a single roof. This article has been designed to help you land into your dream job. Get updates about interview guides, how to write a resume, compensation ranges, where and what to study, and pick Resume Sample Templates. Browse the following extensive free Nurse Career Resources to know further –
- Learnhowtobecome.org – The page offers basic and advanced knowledge of various topics involved in Nursing. A quick browse can enlighten you with many factors such as – job scope, job responsibilities, job titles, career trends, spotlight careers, and how to explore academic paths.
- Onlin.stmary.edu – There are plenty of opportunities to explore in the nursing sector. And this website is a direct link that can connect aspirants with various online courses in nursing offered by the University of Saint Mary. From RN to BSN education you can reach for all education courses over here.
- Registerednursing.org – The Registered Nursing organization provides nursing careers and specialties for Registered Nurses. From job careers to job scope and responsibilities, you can get a wealth of information over here. Search for any nursing programs based on your program of interest.
- Nursing school.org – MSN Programs have listed a group of institutions and universities that offer nursing education within its industry. From RN to MSN programs, you can get a detailed list of the best schools that can train and make you a professional Nurse.
- Nursejournal.org – The Nurse Journal is a very useful website that contains all the beneficial resources needed by those who want to make a career in Nursing. Gather insights from various schools and get a chance to study from one of the prestigious Institutions. The website covers a unique range of nursing career options and also connects you to various scholarships and financial aid programs.
- Truity.com – Have you planned to become a Registered Nurse or search for an RN job, Truity.com is a website that provides all the needed information about this sub-field. From job scope to responsibilities to job outlook and salary, every concept is covered extensively over here.
- Thebalancecareers.com – Plan your Nursing Career with the help of this website. The Balance Careers website provides information about Registered Nurses’ career paths. Learn about the career path, salary required skills and more on visiting this site.
- Money.usnews.com – This portal focuses on providing information about Registered Nurses. The Website gives enormous facts about this career and covers all aspects from overview to job sites and more. It contains all topics relevant to the nursing profession.
- Toprntobsn.com – Nursing Career interests you, but not sure of which area to specialize in! Then, visit this webpage, to get a plethora of information and to know about the trending top 50 best nursing careers based on salary and demand.
Nurse Career Education and Courses Resources
Nursing is one career that is on the rise and will always be in demand as the medical industry is predicted to grow by at least 20% in the forthcoming years. If you are considering a career in this sector, then the first and foremost thing is to get a Nursing degree. You have to be a Registered Nurse, to become a Nurse and for that, it is essential to get an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree in Nursing. However, obtaining a Master’s qualification in Nursing will certainly be useful for advanced-level positions and also to get noticed on the job market. And again, for better job prospects also it is crucial to hold specialized Certifications. Luckily, the generation today is blessed with plenty of nursing education provided through various online professional resources. The internet is one fantastic place that can be used for researching all your nursing needs – be it for your education needs or for searching for a nursing job.
These free education and courses resources are the latest and evidence-based contents and tools, which can help you in your learning process –
- Mastersinnursing.com – Masters in Nursing will take the Nurses one step ahead in their career move. The website gives an overview, the needed requirements, bridge programs and MSN dual programs offered by the MastersinNursing.com site.
- Nurse.com – Partnering with Relias, nurse.com gives scope for continuing education for an affordable cost. The students can pick from the various online courses, enroll for nursing jobs, and study for free various CE courses. The website will also connect you with nursing blogs and other related platforms to get acquainted with the nursing community.
- Collegegrad.com – The website gives an overview of Registered Nurses’ career. The site contains all the information about this domain. From salary to education to career information. Students seeking to make a career as a Registered Nurse can get a wealth of information on visiting the site.
- Allnursingschools.com – Registered nurses holding a degree can advance in their careers by earning an MSN degree online from allnursingschools.com. The website is an attempt to enlighten students and nurses about various educational courses available for them to pick to enhance their educational needs.
- Study.com – Nurses plays a very crucial part in the life of patients. To become one, you have to discover the requirements associated with the post such as educational programs, training, licensures and more. Find out which is the best career option available to you in this field.
- Explorehealthcareers.org – Explore plenty of nursing opportunities fationrom this website. Explore health careers is an online organization that connects students aspiring to do Nursing courses with appropriate resources. Not only that, you can gain access to scholarship programs and also earn certifications by taking up online courses.
- Collegechoice.net – Want to earn a BSN degree, find the best place that offers a BSN degree. The college choice ranks the best nursing degree colleges and universities. Students can pick the right college and earn a nursing degree and also get complete practical experience.
- Symposiamedicus.org – Symposia Medicus is a non-profit organization that provides for continuing medical and nursing education. Log in and become a member to avail loads of benefits from education to attending conferences and more.
- Nursingschool.org – Explore the various career paths available within the nursing sector over here. If you already have a BSN degree and want to study further, then you can scroll through the available options using this website. You can choose specialties based on your interest and find the best college to study.
- Rncareers.org – Want some expertise guide to pursuing your career in the nursing sector, then the RN careers are the best platform to do so. If you already are a Registered Nurse, then you can go beyond that by taking up other advanced courses. This website gives access to plenty of resource sites for achieving your educational goals.
- Geteducated.com – Want to become a Registered Nurse but are unable to attend the colleges, then this website will be useful for you. The Career Center guides you on how to study online and become a registered nurse. Learn everything about the nursing career from the site.
- Qwikresume.com – Have you decided to pursue a career in Nursing and searching for such jobs? Take the help of Qwik Resume and learn how to write an attractive resume. Sample resumes and resume templates available in this site will be useful for references and
- Americanmobile.com – American Mobile is an AMN healthcare company that lists travel nursing jobs available in the U.S. You can use this platform to search relevant jobs based on various filters such as location, shift, and exclusive jobs.
Organizations and Associations for Nursing Career
Professional organizations and associations are very crucial for nursing careers as they help to generate energy, promote proactive work culture and get an innovative flow of ideas needed for maintaining a healthy professional that advocates towards the needs of its nurses and clients. Whether you want to join a nursing course, or you are already working as a professional Nurse, you will always need the help of a professional nursing organization to advance in your career. Membership with one or more of these nursing organizations will give you access to meet like-minded people, research-based learning tools, training or other nursing certifications.
Some of the benefits of such membership include – staying up-to-date with news and changes happening in the nursing profession, access to continuing education at discounted rates, brilliant networking opportunities, career guidance and assistance, discounts on products and resources; and obtaining online course certifications. Here are some best organizations and associations that you may consider for joining to become a nurse or to enhance your job prospects if you are already in this career –
- Nsna.org – The Nurse Organization provides career development support to students who want to prepare for their initial nursing licensure. The NSNA provides nursing resource guidance, tools for career planning, and NCLEX resources.
- Sigmanursing.org – Sigma is an organization that has more than 1,35,000 members and 700 chapters that provide higher learning around the world. Sigma is the first organization in the U.S that funds for nursing-related researches. Members can avail of the various educational opportunities, career advice, and leadership development programs offered by the organization.
- Nursingworld.org – ANA is the largest association that connects nurses from all over the globe. On membership, the members will have the privilege to access the online library and acquire a wealth of information and research. They can participate in webinars, and also earn contact hours. This is also the best job search platform.
- Amsn.org – AMSN with more than 11,500 members happens to be the largest subspecialty of the nursing sector. The organization provides career guidance, clinical practice, professional development tools and publications about medical and surgical nursing roles.
- Ena.org – The Emergency Nurses Association has more than 42000 members who work in diverse emergency department settings across the globe. The ENA provides members to gain access to clinical resources, free continuing education, global networking, and job opportunities.
- Aacn.org – With more than one lac members from all across the world, the AACN is the world’s largest specialty nursing organization. The entity offers critical care certification resources, networking events, continuing education opportunities that help to support its core values of innovation, leadership, collaboration, and accountability.
- Aannet.org – The American Academy of Nursing consists of highly educated members from the nursing profession. Almost 90% of the members hold a doctoral degree and the remaining ones hold a Master’s degree. The entity focuses on advancing the professional with its innovative leadership and delivery of expert nursing knowledge.
- Nurse.org – The site provides a full list of the nursing organization spread all across the globe. You can search for the best nursing association based on the national, state and international filters.
- Icn.ch – More than 150 national nurses’ associations form the base of the ICN organization. It connects and fosters the relationship between nursing and non-nursing medical organizations.
- Ncsbn.org – The NCSBN is a non-profit, independent organization that acts as the nursing regulatory body and counsels the professionals on matters of common interest and concerns that affect public health, welfare, and safety. It also concentrates on developing nursing licensure examinations.
- Jobs.ana.org – ANA career center is a premier organization that represents the interest of 3.6 million registered nurses. The entity fosters high standards of nursing practice, promotes a safe and ethical work culture and bolsters the health and wellness of nurses.
News Resources for Nursing Career
Well back during the 1980s, even when there wasn’t Google or any other websites around, Nurses got their jobs just based on their education level and skills. These skill levels were also only the following – novice, advanced beginner, proficient, competent and Expert. Back during those days, students used to complete their courses, obtain graduate nurse status, and get placed. They were able to do so because the competition then was not stiff, they were able to grow, learn, and progress through all the levels only under the tutelage of experienced nurses. Nurses were able to gain experience and knowledge only at their work under the supervision of an expert. But today, things have changed and now knowledge is only a finger click away. There are a million ways to access important information, use the resources aptly, and make plenty of choices and decisions.
We all know that Nurses are care-providers, but who will take care of the needs of the Nurses? Excellent sites provide evidence-based resources, articles, and news mattes that can support the nursing community. Even though online resources can’t replace the general base of education, the following resource links listed below have a common goal of providing useful and latest news for nurses –
- Dailynurse.com – It provides nurses with personal and professional development opportunities, news and information. The website is equipped with tons of useful information from career growth to resume writing to networking and more.
- Nytimes.com – The New York Times is one of the most popular and old news providers mainly for the nursing and nurse’s community. All the latest news and happenings from all over the world can be seen on this publication page instantly.
- Nursingtimes.net – It is one of the oldest websites designed for the nursing community in the UK. The website is popular with American nurses as well. The platform provides blogs and articles covering concepts such as health-related issues, opinion pieces, book reviews, nursing care delivery and much more.
- Nursingcenter.com – For the best resource to improve patient care and outcome, we recommend you to join here. The website provides access to peer viewed journal articles and also has infinite free articles that are resourceful and useful.
Books References for Nursing Career
The HealthCare sector, specifically the Nursing segment, is considerably evolving and changing, as discoveries, innovations and new medical technologies keep occurring every single day. And as a nursing professional, it is your responsibility to stay tuned with these latest happenings and educate yourself so that you can prove to be useful to the community you are serving. Reading is one thing that can keep you on track always, there are countless books and reference articles these days at the bookstore and on the internet, which are very useful for gaining the necessary knowledge, skills, and qualifications needed to become a Nurse.
Even though Medical professionals like the Surgeons and the Physicians attract more publicity, it is the Nurse at the back-end who works as a drill-Sergent managing the health care army. Setting forth on this road needs deep understanding, a strong grasp over the latest concepts; and extensive domain-specific knowledge. While there are so many books and reference sites available on the internet platform today, it may seem overwhelming to pick the most appropriate one. So, we have done a bit of research and come up with the following notable books that are proven to be resourceful mainly for those who want to break into this career –
- Nursingschoolhub.com – gives a list of around 50 best books available for the nurses to read. To stay updated with the latest happenings and to know in detail everything about the nursing field, nurses need to read these books.
- Inspired Nurse – Inspired Nurse is the 1st edition that will help you to recapture and maintain the elusive qualities that you would have come across when you first wore your nurse dress. Rich Blunt, in this book, reminds nurses as to why they chose this profession and also provides how the nurses can enjoy the gift of their job.
- Bedlam Among the Bedpans – Every reader on reading this book can resonate with a true and funny store that other nurses have experienced. The Author over here has compiled some funniest, and creative stories from nursing books, internet, and journals that are sure to brighten every nurse’s day and make them chuckle!
- We Band of Angels – During World War II when the Japanese took over the Philippines, almost 77 American women, navy and the army nurses were captured by the Japanese. In this book, the author features the journals, interviews, and diaries of 20 such nurses who were imprisoned and faced disease, bombing, and starvation. This book is sure to inspire every nurse!
- Stuck Up – This book is filled with loads and loads of funny and comic facts and interesting stories, that can lighten the mood of a stressful nurse who wants some relief and soothing moments.
- Notes on Nursing – This book by Florence Nightingale is an influential book that delves into history. The author was the first nurse to document her findings and present it in the form of a book with present evidence. She strives to change the struggling nursing world. This book is sure to enlighten and edify all nurses!
Video Resouces for Nursing Career
These days there are so many online resource tools available to nurses. There are so many useful websites and video links for nurses and this may seem a bit overwhelming at first. But these resources are highly useful and crucial for those who may be interested in this career. While some viewers look for videos and posts to make a career into this line, many viewers simply want to enhance their skills and share their knowledge within their community by posting their experiences and wealth of information on the website. It is also a matter to accept that in this rapidly changing world, one needs to always be in pace with others and stay updated with the latest happenings, publications, conferences, and lectures. And the best way to gain this wealth is to access some valuable websites.
But with millions of videos going live day-to-day, it may be difficult to pick the right vides. Hence, we have curated a list of some best videos that can help you in getting the needed information. These contents can be useful for all range from nursing students to experienced nurse professionals –
- RegisteredNurseRN – In this video, viewers will be able to understand the difference between PT/INR and a PTT. In this review, the concept of PT/INR and aPTT is well-explained with illustrations and practical examples. The Youtuber over here even explains the similarities and differences of the coagulation tests.
- Nurses – Want to know the difference between ICU nurses and ER nurses, then this video is something that might interest you. Over here, Crosby Steen visits the AZ and gives a detailed talk of the topic that is sure to inspire anyone!
- Nursejournal – It is a popular social community platform for nurses worldwide. The YouTuber over here has taken all vital questions and concerns governing the field and has created videos that can simply clear your confused brain.
- The Nurse Nook – Are you a nurse? Or want to know the work-life of a nurse? Then visit this site and know about how the daily routine life of a nurse would be at their workplace. With practical demos and explanations, it is the best way to understand a nursing professional’s work environment.
Social Media Resources for Nursing Career
Networking with our peer-group is always essential for professional growth, sustainability and to enhance career success. Whether you are a professional registered nurse or a nurse-midwife, social media platforms will make your life easier and help you to stay connected around the world. You can ask questions, share professional career advice, or stay informed about fresh opportunities and advancements in the field. In today’s tech world, we have the freedom to access a myriad of digital tools, communication, and information. Nursing professionals employ social media platforms as a wide-ranging and effective tool to stay in touch with others. However, with so many available options, comes a great deal of responsibility as well. Nurses can use various social networking sites, blogs, public forums, and chat rooms and learn many new things and concepts.
So now, where are these nurses congregating online? Here is a brief list of some valuable social media and networking sites that are mostly used by the nursing communities to connect with each other –
- Nurse.com – This social media platform is the best place to stay connected with nurses from all over the world. from recent posts to blogs to the latest news, you can gain knowledge of everything about your field.
- Nurse Careers – Want to join a new nursing job? Or you want to relocate your area? Or you want to know the world culture of other nurses, get connected with all these sources by becoming a member of this social media community.
- Nurse Job Hirings – This social media community is a group that is dedicated to nurses who want to apply as NURSE/MEDREP. Other than that, you can see plenty of job postings over here and the sources to get connected to the job listing community.
- Philippine Registered Nurse – Is a public group that connects people who want to get into registered nurses post during 2020. You can see various job openings and send your resume directly to the link mentioned on the site.
Resumes That Can Help You Get a Job
Even though Nursing is considered the most-demanding sector, it is equally a rewarding and difficult profession. The job required plenty of har skills. Nurses have to be equipped with a lot of medical knowledge and also be able to perform certain procedures at times. These days, the nurses have to be tech-savvy as well, because they have to frequently work on Computers and use the database daily for updating the patient’s history and progress. And when you are looking forward to a nursing position, you should be able to win the heart of the employer by drafting an effective and robust Nursing Resume. For this purpose, you have to refer plenty of websites, reference sites and look at Resume samples to craft your resume. Your resume is a very crucial document as this acts as the first impression of you.
Now that you have decided to pursue your career as a Nurse, you should take some extra pressure and effort before you can go ahead with writing your resume. Your resume should be interesting and positive. It should display all the nursing skills and experiences about the job title applied for. Here’s an effort from our side to help you in this process, we have listed below some important tips that can help you with your resume-writing process –
- The structure and format of your resume should be consistent throughout the resume and look easy on the eyes.
- Tell who you are and what you want
- Optimize your keywords
- Focus on achievements
- Target your specific audience
- Navigate online applications
- Don’t overload your resume with unnecessary keywords
- Use simple section headers, such as “Work History” or “Education”
- Pick appropriate Resume format
- List all your nursing credentials
What’s the use of making a good resume?
Great Resumes get your Interview!
In reality, hiring companies get thousands of job applications. Most of these resumes go directly into the hands of the hiring managers. A good resume necessarily may not get you the job but it gives a guarantee for an interview. And this is why building a great resume is very important in the first place.
Why Choose Qwikresume
There are innumerable sites that offer resume templates online, but it’s difficult to find the one which is up-to-date with the prevailing Nursing career Trends and which can help you search for the perfect job. We have assembled in our page an excellent collection of carefully Curated Job Resume Samples to help job seekers meet the demands of this ever-evolving job market. Our professional team of Career advisors is constantly working on new samples and is coming up to tweak existing ones so that they can highlight the latest hiring trends, job responsibilities, and qualifications.
It is highly impossible to offer a Resume sample for every nursing job title under the Earth, but we have done our best to provide that, and are even working on it more! While we keep working on developing our resume library, you can still be able to find a wide variety of resume samples for most major industries as well as a collection of newly designed Nursing Resume templates that can be downloaded for free and customized as needed. Over here you can find professional resume samples tailored to suit every need of the Nursing job seekers –